Everyone loves to swim in the ocean! The salt of the sea and motion of the waves provide hours of fun and relaxation. But please bare in mind: the ocean is a wild force, controlled by the tides. While you’re having fun on your Ocean City vacation, be sure you’re being safe. Here are some tips from Shoreline Properties on staying safe in the ocean:
- Pay attention to the tides and roughness of the waves. If you don’t think you can handle rougher waves, take a break from swimming. If you think you can, always keep your bearings. Keep your spot on the beach and a lifeguard in sight. Watch out for the people around you. Look ahead to the waves that are coming next. Always remain aware of your surroundings.
- Stay updated on the presence of riptides. Certain areas of the Ocean City beach are prone to riptides. If you are unsure if one could be near, ask a lifeguard. If you see people avoiding a certain area, stay away from that area: it is very probably a riptide. If you find yourself caught in a riptide, swim to the side, not toward the shore. If you swim sideways, you will free yourself from the rip current. From there, you can swim to shore.
- Never leave children unattended. Make sure they are always in your sight and easy to reach in an emergency. Children may not know their limits or understand that the water is too rough. Remove children from currents you do not think they can handle.
- Take breaks. You don’t want to tire yourself. This will make it harder to swim if you find yourself caught in a particularly rough current. Even if you don’t feel tired, be sure to take several breaks throughout the day. Enforce breaks for your children, especially since they will likely need more than you. Conserve your energy just in case the tide gets a little too rough.
- Please, please, please only swim when a lifeguard is present. It is far easier to lose control in the ocean than in a lake or pool. Even if you are a very good swimmer, please only swim when there is a professional who can help if something happens. The ocean does not care if you make it back to shore, but we at Shoreline Properties do.
If you follow these tips, we here at Shoreline are certain you will remain safe while swimming the day away. We love our ocean, but we love our guests even more. Now, head to the beach and enjoy all Ocean City has to offer!